The Maó Lazareto can be considered as a health fortress. Located on a tiny island in the middle of the harbour, its construction was started at the end of the 18th century under the rule of Carlo 3rd, altjough it was not completed until the beginning of the 19th century with Carlos 4th as king. The objective of this monument, between 1816 and 1916, was the health control of the maritime transit entering the port, in times when the plague and other contagious illnesses were quite common.
The premises are surrounded by a seven metres high stone wall and are divided in three zones; the first one was historically reserved for sick crew with epidemics on board. The second would custody the sailor with non infectious illnesses and there was a third where the arriving ships with sick crew would stop.
On visiting this place we can appreciate the chambers and medical equipment used during the past at a small medical museum.
Apart from its architectonical attractiveness, we will have the opportunity of enjoying the privileged views over the port of Maó.
To reach the Lazareto island from Maó we must take a boat which leaves regularly at Cales Fonts.